He or she works withthe school principal, nurse and parents to:
- Encourage the child to express how he or she feels when he or she is uncomfortable.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia, as determined in the Intervention Guide.
- Recognize situations that require contacting and communicating with the parent.
- Know and apply the instructions and guidelines of the Intervention Guide.
- Ensure that the student who is experiencing discomfort is accompanied if he or she has to travel.
- Inform parents about out-of-school activities.
- Have a complete kit on hand at all times in case of hypoglycemia.
- Make sure the child has his or her hypoglycemia kit with him or her when leaving school.
For a complete list of roles and responsibilities, see the School-Based Intervention Protocol for Children with Type 1 Diabetes.