He or she plays a major role as well while being the only responsible adult nearby the diabetic child during transportation.
His or her responsibilities include :
- Develop a list of children with diabetes who use school transportation
- Provide each school carrier with a list of students with diabetes using his or her services.
- In collaboration with the school bus company, reduce the travel time student with diabetes as much as possible.
- Inform the school carrier that each bus driver involved can receive information during a meeting with the nurse.
- Educate the school carrier about the importance of bus drivers having a cell phone to call for help in case of an emergency
- Allow the student to consume food or sugar as needed.
For a complete list of roles and responsibilities, see the School-Based Intervention Protocol for Students with Type 1 Diabetes.