They play a key role in preparing their child’s diabetes management at school.
Their role consists mainly of:
- Contacting the school principal to discuss his or her child’s special needs related to diabetes.
- Reading the intervention protocol
- Transmitting to the nurse the documents necessary for the application of the protocol.
- Providing emergency kits
- Forwarding the blood glucose logbook on a daily basis
- Notifying the school of any changes that may affect the child’s health.
For a complete list of roles and responsibilities, see the School-Based Intervention Protocol for Students with Type 1 Diabetes.