The Diabetic Children’s Foundation was established in 1974 with the mandate to support the urgent needs of Camp Carowanis, which was founded for diabetic children in 1958.
Honoring the history commitment to never refuse a diabetic children over fiancial considerations, the first Board of Directors of the Foundation consisted of doctors and parents who were convinced of the role and importance of Camp Carowanis in the lives of diabetic children and their familiy.
With the help of parents who volunteered to help, the Foundation gradually extended its services to provide: office administration and telephone support, information and training, new associations for pediatric and diabetic health care professionals, and social events.
Present for children and families for more than 40 years.
These visionaries deserve to be recognized for their determination and devotion, because they helped us build a solid organization that is based on a strong sense of ethics and is entirely dedicated to the wellbeing of children and families faced with Type 1 Diabetes.
Over the last 40 years, the Foundation has evolved in accordance with the changing practices of care, new cutting edge technologies to manage diabetes, and the results of evidence-based studies conducted by the Foundation. The Foundations has successfully adapted to the current needs and realities faced by diabetic children and their family.
We have come a long way since the days of the smoke emitting tablets that were used to detect the presence of glucose in the urine!